Sunday, June 3, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 19.28 (William Shakespeare)

Romeo and Juliet
Shakespeare, William
Romeo and Juliet

Like most people in the world, I have seen this play adapted nearly to death. I've read it several times, taught it several times, used it as the basis for a creative writing exercise with students, etc. And let's not forget West Side Story.

At this point, I have to say, I am ready for the next phase of this project. Frankly, I am sick of Shakespeare. Sick sick sick. I don't know if I can get through ten more books.

The malady is so bad that yesterday all it took for me to decide not to write my blog entry was bad lighting. I woke up to a cloudy, drizzly, rainy sky, took this book off the shelf, sat down at my desk, thought about having to adjust the light to make the text legible, then decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Shakespeare will do that to you after a while.

Here. This put me in a little better mood. We need more adaptations like it.



No worries, though, I will persist. Ten more days before we get to Mary Shelley. Ten. More. Days...

from Romeo and Juliet

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

No comments: