Thursday, July 5, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 28 (Ignazio Silone)

Bread and Wine
Silone, Ignazio
Bread & Wine

Purchased at the Fordham University Bookstore for a course I took as an undergraduate called, "The Individual vs. The Institution." It cost $4.50.

The course was taught by a professor of Italian whose name escapes me. It was one of the many times throughout my academic career that I have been seduced into registering for a terrible class because it had such a great reading list.

We read Camus, Sartre, Kafka, Malraux, Silone and a few others.

Given Fordham's religious mission and also the anglophilia of the English department, it was a miracle I was even able to find a course featuring a slew of secular, mostly atheistic, European authors.

Anyhow, I remember loving this novel when I read it, though I can't recall a single character or incident in the book.

Alas.

Hmm...I just opened the book to find an excerpt and found an inscription on the inside cover:

Michael Kelleher, alias "Big Papa."

I have no idea who wrote that or what it means. It is not in my handwriting.

from Bread and Wine

Don Benedetto, sitting on the low garden wall in the shadow of a cypress, was reading his breviary. His black priest's habit absorbed and prolonged the shadow of the tree. Behind him his sister sat at her loom, which she had placed between a box hedge and a rosemary bed, and the shuttle bobbed backwards and forwards through the warp of red and black wool, from left to right and from right to left, to the accompaniment of the rhythm of the treadle that lifted the warp cords and of the lamb that lifted the warp.

No comments: