Friday, July 13, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's Part 33 (Richard Slotkin)

Regeneration Through Violence
Slotkin, Richard
Regeneration Through Violence

Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books. Or, possibly, online. Not quite sure.

I associate this book with Susan Howe. I don't recall if she recommended it to me or if it was on a reading list for one of her classes, but I do know that I somehow heard about the book through her.

I think I may have considered it for one of my orals lists, but I never used it.

I don't think I finished reading it, actually. There's a bookmark on page 473 (out of 670), so I must have read most of it. Hmm...the bookmark has a date from 2006 and I am sure I read this long before that, so that could have been how far Lori got when she tried to read the book.

That's all for today, folks.

from Regeneration Through Violence

The mythology of a nation is the intelligible mask of that enigma called the "national character." Through myths the psychology and world view of our cultural ancestors are transmitted to modern descendants, in such a way and with such power that our perception of contemporary reality and our ability to function in the world are directly, often tragically affected. 

No comments: