Monday, July 30, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 41.2 (Gilbert Sorrentino)

New and Selected Poems 1958-1998
Sorrentino, Gilbert
New and Selected Poems 1958-1998

Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books.

I seem to remember this being an impulse purchase: before I bought his essays and long before Matvei gave me the other book. I don't recall the impulse.

It may have been that I had read about his death and recalled that Ammiel had studied with him and saw the book and bough it.

Oddly, I still have never read any of his fiction.

I remember not liking the poems very much. You'd think I could have figured that out before I bought the book, but so it goes.

In Memoriam P.B.

Lavender, vanilla, anything.
The belt worn with such elegance
by the Midas fly.

         How still. How still.
         Dusk ever. The rosy bridge.
         Everything is almost perfect
         In its name.

I give you the coronet, dead man.
Wear it in health. I never dream of you.
Vanilla. Orange ice. Un sombrero.
A lavish sunset soaks Brooklyn
With excruciating love.

         Kings. Kings. Kings. Kings.

         Ah! The streets of dream



No comments: