Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 42 (Juliana Spahr)

Fuck You Aloha I Love You
Spahr, Juliana
Fuck You Aloha I Love You

I think I bought this online. I think I remember buying a number of other books of contemporary poetry alongside it. I think I was thinking that I had gotten behind in my reading of contemporary poetry and so set out to get caught up and so bought this book along with a number of others.

Or not. I may have bought it at Talking Leaves...Books.

I first met Juliana in NYC at a reading the Segue Foundation. I can't remember who was reading.

It was 1997. I was just getting ready to go to Buffalo and there were a whole bunch of current and former Buffalo people at the reading.

I spoke to Peter Gizzi about Buffalo and he told me the apartments there were very cheap.

I spoke to Kristen Prevallet, who was still studying in Buffalo at the time, and seemed very excited to learn that a new person was arriving in the Poetics Program. I don't remember what else we talked about.

At some point in our conversation Juliana crossed the room to tell Kristen that she was getting ready to leave and Kristen introduced us and Juliana said hi and then they left.

from Fuck You Aloha I Love You

Here's a link to localism or t/here, the first poem in the collection.


No comments: