Sunday, September 2, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 58 (Gary Sullivan)

PPL in a Depot
Sullivan, Gary
PPL in  a Depot

Given to me by the author during the first Buffalo Small Press Book Fair. Gary came to Buffalo on the eve of the fair to give a reading with Flarfists Nada Gordon, Rod Smith, and Mel Nichols. The reading took place at Big Orbit Gallery. It was organized by Kevin Thurston. This must have been 2008. I can't quite remember. They all read individually and then as a group. It was a lot of fun.

I remember talking to Gary and Rod and Steve Zultanski at the fair the next day. For some reason we were talking about my hair. It had grown longer than I usually wore it, especially in the front. I was still using a lot of hair gel, so the front, which normally stood up just a little, was standing up pretty high. I explained to the three of them that I had two hairdos: "dippety-doo down" and "dippety-doo up." This was dippety-doo up.

At the end of the day, Gary gave me this book, as well as a set of his comic book, Elsewhere. Later that evening we all ate at India Gate on Elmwood Avenue. We had a table that sat something like twenty people. I sat at one end with Lori and Gary and Nada. I remember that Rod and Mel sat at the other end of the table. I have a photo of the whole table somewhere. I think it might be on Lori's flickr page or in my flickr favorites.

Gary and Nada stayed an extra day and we took them up to the falls for a fun-filled outing wandering through all the kitsch on the Canadian side. On his way out of Buffalo, or maybe just after he left, Gary sent me a list of his top ten all-time favorite Bollywood movies. Lori and I watched about half of them. They were great, though the common three- to four-hour format made watching them somewhat difficult. Our two favorited from the list were Awaara & Amar, Akbar, Antony.

The former is from the "classic" period, is shot in black and white, and is more of a melodrama slash musical. I remember the copy we watched on Netflix lost its subtitles with about twenty minutes left, so we weren't really sure how it ended. I told Gary this and he bought me a copy on the street in NYC and sent it up.

Amar, Akbar, Antony, on the other hand, is from the mid-seventies and is an insane mash-up of popular film genres and trends of that era. It covers everything from car chase films to Saturday Night Fever in a delirious four hour romp. It's kind of unforgettable.


It was later that year that I started this blog. Gary was one of my early readers. He used to stop in now and again and comment on my posts. I remember he had to stop because his boss caught him blogging at work.

It was a strange moment, because just as I started blogging, things like twitter were starting to take over the internet and it seemed like blogging was officially over. Leave it to me to come to the party late.

from PPL in a Depot

Mozart: [Opening the notebook] "Son thinker's recollection
Methought tatter marketplaces sullying
Vasectomy hygiene lore's SOS weaves cardiacs
Sot woverine's authoritarianism breathlessness's
Fractals topsoils disabled Iowa Va's
Restrictively austerest VAT irreproachable
Loading's deity's misconducting disables
Aridity's overqualified Tod spy refurbishing
Lothario inveigles soapiest ambitions
Cantonese shoddiness hogsheads pungent procurement
Congratulating confounding cowhide gunslinger
Suuplement's pulpits henpecks galvanometers
Companied terms Rx's architectural SST Gujranwala
Cushions leotard's reformatory's sierras
Genres obeys bloodsheds St.'s approval clanged."

No comments: