Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Aimless Reading: The T's, Part 4 (Thucydides)

History of the Peloponnesian War
Thucydides
The History of the Peloponnesian War


Purchased either at Talking Leaves Books or online. I can't remember which. I bought for my oral exam list on the history of history. Mostly I read it because Olson marked this book as a turning point in western civilization away from history as myth, ritual, magic, and towards a objectivity, science, and war. A disastrous turn, in his eyes, that could be corrected by returning to Herodotus, for whom history was less about objectivity and more about the process of discovery, of finding out for oneself and report the facts as discovered, regardless of their supposedly objective basis in fact.

Well, little Emily has decided I can't write anymore today, so...until tomorrow.

No comments: