Thursday, September 20, 2012

Aimless Reading, The T's, Part 5.1 (Leo Tolstoy)

War and Peace
Tolstoy, Leo
War and Peace

Not sure where I bought this. I seem to remember buying it in a chain store. Brentano's or Border's or barnes and Noble or something along those lines. Possibly in Virginia, where my parents lived, possibly during college. It still has a price tag on it: $5.95. The tag does not include the name of the store. I have had it for a long time now.

I have read half of it twice. Unfortunately, it was the same half, so I can't claim to have read the whole thing. I barely remember what I did read. Not sure why that is, but it is.

I feel like I have been having a hard time feeling settled enough to write interesting blog posts lately. I get to the end of my description of the book and then stare off into space. Maybe Kevin Killian's prophecy that I would run out of good stories to tell before the end of the alphabet is true. Or maybe I am just a little bored with myself at the moment.

I can remember a little bit of the last time I tried to read this. We were still living in Black Rock. I read it at night. In bed. Under the covers. I read about 600 pages or maybe 800. Not sure why I stopped.. Boredom? Perhaps. I may have started this at the beginning of my current novel reading period. It took me a little while to get warmed up.

Another novel I started and never finished was Musil's The Man Without Qualities. I still intend to go back to that some day. Working my way up to reading a full novel after so many years took practice. I had forgotten how to identify with characters and become absorbed in the narrative. I was so used to analyzing texts that I'd forgotten about all the fun parts of reading novels.

Alas, maybe I'll read all of this someday. I might even remember some of it, too.

from War and Peace

"Eh bien, mon Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now no more than family estates of the Bonaprtes. No, I warn you, if you don't say that this means war, if you still permit yourself to condone all the infamies, all the atrocities of this Antichrist–and that's what I really believe he is–I will have nothing more to do with you, you are no longer my friends, my faithful slave, as you say. But how do you do, how do you do? I see that I am frightening you. Sit down and tell me all about it."

No comments: