Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Aimless Reading: The T's, Part 13 (Ivan Turgenev)

Fathers and Sons
Turgenev, Ivan
Fathers and Sons


Purchased at the Fordham University bookstore for an undergrad summer course–mentioned several times before on this blog–called, "Politics and the Novel."

I remember there was duel, but that's about all.

One of the things I remember about the course was that we were assigned something like eight or ten novels in six weeks. In fact, the original reading list included even more than that. I bought every book on the syllabus, even those we never got around to, like D.M. Thomas' The White Hotel.

Speaking of which, I have this sneaking suspicion that some of the books in the 'T' section of my library have remained in a mislabeled box. I find it hard to believe that I only have thirteen books written by authors whose last name begins with 'T.'

For instance, D.M. Thomas.

It's possible, I guess, that I sold it when we moved, as I purged my library pretty mercilessly before we left Buffalo, but still, it seems like there should be more. Hopefully we'll be buying a house soon so I can unpack all of my books again.

from Fathers and Sons

A gentleman in the early forties, wearing check trousers and a dusty overcoat, cam out on the low porch of the coaching-inn on the – highway. The date was the twentieth of may in the year 1859.

No comments: