Friday, October 5, 2012

Aimless Reading: The V's, Part 2 (Marc Van De Mieroop)

Cuneiform Texts and the Writing of History
Van De Mieroop, Mark
Cuneiform Texts and the Writing of History


Purchased online. When I first met Ammiel Alcalay, he was teaching a very Olsonian kind of course at the CUNY grad center, which had one of the most exhaustive and exciting reading lists I had ever seen on the syllabus. I think I read five or six of the books over the next year.

Oddly, though, I don't remember anything about this one.

The name of the author, Marc Van De Mieroop, has always stayed in my head. As soon as I pulled it off the shelf this morning, I remembered the name. I think its the last syllable, "roop," that makes it stick. It rhymes with "hoop" and "poop," both of which are also goofy sounding and thus memorable.

I just opened it to discover my bookmark on page 43, so I guess I didn't get very far. This probably explains why I remember so little.

No comments: