Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Aimless Reading: The V's, Part 7 (René Viénet)

Enragés and Situationists in the Occupation Movement, France, May '68
Viénet, René
Enragés and Situationists in the Occupation Movement, France, May '68


Purchased at St. Mark's Books.

After I read Greil Marcus' Lipstick Traces I went on a quest to read all about Dada, Situationism, Lettrism, etc.. I bought Robert Motherwell's The Dada Painters and Poets, Debord's Society of the Spectacle, and this, which was, I thought, a historical account of May 1968. I remember it being very difficult to find these things and getting frustrated in my search. I don't recall this book being very informative as a historical account. I remember that I just wanted a kind of straightforward history of the era. This was more about the ideas behind the revolts, which was interesting but difficult to decipher without more context. The internet came into its own a few years later, but I had already moved on to other things.

1 comment:

dago red said...

my personal favorite: "an endless adventure - an endless passion - an endless banquet..."

ISBN: 0860919838

certainly worth owning for the sandpaper cover alone - guaranteed to startle librarians and rub you the wrong way