Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Aimless Reading: The W's. Part 19 (Oscar Wilde)

The Critic as Artist
Wilde, Oscar
The Critic as Artist

Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books for a course with Charles Bernstein in graduate school. I am surprised to discover that this is the only book by Wilde on my shelf. I am certain I used to own The Portrait of Dorian Gray. I also used to have some of his plays. I have no idea what happened to either of those books. Ho-hum. Time to go cut down a tree at the new house.

from The Critic as Artist

Well, while you have been playing, I have been turning over the pages with some amusement, though, as a rule, I dislike modern memoirs. They are generally written by people who have either entirely lost their memories, or have never done anything worth remembering; which, however, is, no doubt, the true explanation of their popularity, as the English public always feels perfectly at its ease when a mediocrity is talking to it.

No comments: