Monday, December 24, 2012

Aimless Reading: The W's, Part 30 (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius
Monk, Ray
Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius


Purchased at East Village Books, apparently for $8, with a note that it was priced thus because of a water stain on the cover page. This book has the distinction of being the only biography that I can recall having read from cover to cover. It was my decidedly random introduction to Wittgenstein's thought.

You can read all about my memories of reading the book under this entry about Rosmarie Waldrop from a month or so back.  All I can say is that Ray Monk created a pretty vivid portrait of an eccentric genius that was also a useful introduction to his thought and also his historical era.

I have a memory walking down the street on the Lower East Side with Laird Hunt, who was reading this book at the time. I was already living in Buffalo and must have been back on a visit. That's all I remember.

No comments: