Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Aimless Reading: The Y's, Part 2.1 (Frances A. Yates)

Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition
Yates, Frances A.
Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition

Purchased at Talking Leaves Books. I remember ogling this book for a long time before buying it. It was quite expensive, as I recall, and I didn't have a lot of money. I eventually did buy, but I am pretty sure I didn't read it. Or not all of it, anyhow. It didn't quite have the narrative sweep of the art of memory and I had so much else to read in grad school that I think it simply ended up on the "I'll get to this later" shelf.

I am drawing a bit of a blank this morning. Last night I fell asleep pretty soundly at around 11:30, then woke up with a case of the jimmy legs at about 12:30. I tried to fall back to sleep, but ended up getting out of bed and coming into my office to mindlessly roam the internet superhighway until I felt tired again. In other words, I didn't get my beauty sleep and it is going to be a long day.

I can say for certain that I read the first chapter, as several passages have been underlined by me.

For instance:

Man's history was not an evolution from primitive animal origins through ever growing complexity and progress; the past was always better than the present, and progress was revival, rebirth, renaissance of antiquity. The classical humanist recovered the literature and the monuments of classical antiquity with a sense of return to the pure gold of civilisation better and higher than his own.

No comments: